Manhattan Car Accident Lawyer
For two decades, the Manhattan car accident lawyers of Douglas and London have assisted auto accident victims in pursuing maximum compensation for their losses and damages. Though the “no-fault” insurance system was designed to easily compensate victims for their injuries, insurers are not mandated to pay you what they have paid others with comparable injuries, and there is little government oversight into their day-to-day tactics that deny, delay, and diminish perfectly valid claims. A qualified Manhattan car accident lawyer from our firm can act as your best advocate. We only get paid if you get paid, so you can be sure we’re on the same team.
Common Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Some car accidents are relatively minor, and the vehicle’s occupants may emerge with only mild injuries. On the other hand, many others cause severe or even fatal injuries for victims. The potential compensation associated with these more serious accidents is typically higher. An experienced car accident lawyer in Manhattan will be familiar with injuries commonly associated with auto accidents, such as:
- Head injuries such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Neck, back, and spine injuries
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Torn or sprained ligaments
- Fractured or broken bones
- Permanent Scarring or disfigurement
- Partial or full paralysis
While a car accident can happen anywhere in the city, a Manhattan personal injury lawyer knows that some places are more dangerous than others. According to the NYPD’s Motor Vehicle Collision Report, here are the most dangerous intersections in Manhattan in January of 2022:
- Murray Street and West Street saw four crashes
- Broadway and West 181st Street had three accidents
- Broadway and West 166th Street saw three collisions
- East 129th Street and Park Avenue had three crashes
- Second Avenue and East 125th Street saw three accidents
- East 99th Street and Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive had three collisions
- East 96th Street and Lexington Avenue saw three crashes
- Third Avenue and 59th Street had three accidents
- 12th Avenue and 42nd Street saw three collisions
- Bialystoker Place and Delancey Street had three crashes
- Canal Street and Varick Street saw three accidents
The following are the most common types of automobile accidents that New York car accident lawyers may handle:
- Rear-end accidents
- Head-on crashes
- Rollover accidents
- Intersection collisions
- Sideswipe crashes
Some of the most common causes that an experienced car accident attorney in Manhattan will typically handle might include:
- Distracted driving or driver inattention
- Failing to maintain a safe following distance
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Passing or improper usage of a lane
- Passing too closely
- Excessive speeds
- Disregard for traffic control
- Unsafe reversing
- Dangerous lane changes
- Turning improperly
What to Do After a Car Accident
After a motor vehicle accident, you must take immediate action to preserve your rights:
- Seek medical attention. Sometimes the ambulance whisks you away, and you receive immediate treatment at a hospital. Other times, you may be weighing “how sore” or “how hurt” you feel. Avoid trying to “tough it out.” Failing to seek medical attention is one of the most common reasons for insurers to deny a claim. If you “didn’t even go to the emergency room” or see a family doctor, they can argue you couldn’t have possibly been injured from the accident. Perhaps it was a pre-existing condition, they will say.
- Gather the burden of proof. Time is of the essence. Hiring a car accident lawyer and experienced legal team can help you contact witnesses, preserve physical evidence, photograph your injuries, and obtain surveillance footage. We’ll help you compile your medical records, police reports, and photos. We can videotape losses in range of motion or ambulation that will be “worth a thousand words” in the courtroom.
- Keep track of losses. We’ll help you compile your medical records, wage statements, bills, and out-of-pocket receipts. Receipts for in-home personal services like nursing care, meal preparation, shoveling, lawn care, and maid services should be maintained. If a family member is caring for you, keep a record of who is coming and when, as all of this can be provided for in a maximum value claim.
- Document it. A written diary is a valuable log, as weeks turn into months and months turn into years. It can be difficult to remember how you were feeling or what you were doing from one day to the next without a written reminder. Write down your daily pain level and limitations. Keep track of when you see the doctor or rehabilitation specialist. Your record tells the insurance company and judge what it’s like to walk in your shoes after the accident.
- Don’t get caught in a trap. Be careful in your dealings with the insurance company. Do not give them your “official statement.” Don’t discuss fault with them. Don’t deny or minimize any of the injuries you have suffered. Do not disobey your doctor’s orders or miss any appointments without rescheduling.
Contact Douglas and London in Manhattan
Douglas and London offers free consultations with a car accident attorney to explore the merits of your case. Should you decide to work with us, our legal fee will come out of the settlement or jury award we secure on your behalf. There is no risk in seeking the best possible representation.