Zadroga Act Attorney
A Zadroga Act attorney with Douglas & London can help you file a claim with the Victim’s Compensation Fund (VCF).
The collapse of the World Trade Center towers on September 11, 2001, was a catastrophe of unprecedented proportions. An enormous cloud of dust hovered over the lower Manhattan area and then slowly moved southeast over areas of Brooklyn. This cloud contained numerous hazardous toxins, including asbestos, pulverized cement dust, glass fiber, lead, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Most of the dust containing these substances came to settle at the World Trade Center site itself. Thousands of people were exposed to these deadly toxins and are now experiencing serious health consequences.
On January 2, 2011, the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 (the Zadroga Act) was signed into law and, as a result, the September 11, 2001 Victim’s Compensation Fund (VCF) was reopened. This means that individuals who were injured as a result of exposure to these hazardous toxins following 9/11, may be entitled to compensation for their injuries. Among the injuries covered under the VCF are lung disease, asthma, chronic bronchitis, COPD, chronic cough syndrome, chronic sinusitis, GERD and sleep apnea.
When originally enacted, the Zadroga Act did not cover cancer. However, recently the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health announced that 50 forms of cancer will now be covered under the Zadroga Act. After a period of public comment, which could take several months, the following cancers will likely be added to the list of covered illnesses under the VCF:
- Malignant Neoplasms of the lip, tongue, salivary gland, floor of mouth, gum, and other mouth, tonsil oropharynx, hypopharynx and other oral cavity and pharynx
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Nasopharynx
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Nose, Nasal Cavity, Middle Ear and Accessory Sinuses
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Larynx
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Esophagus
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Stomach
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Colon and Rectum
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts
- Malignant Neoplasms of the retroperitoneum and peritoneum, omentum and mesentery.
- Malignant Neoplasms of the trachea; bronchus and lung; heart, mediastinum and pleura; and other ill-defined sites in the respiratory system and intrathoracic organs
- Malignant Neoplasms of the soft tissues (sarcomas)
- Malignant Neoplasms of the skin (melanoma and nonmelanoma), including scrotal cancer
- Malignant Neoplasms of the breast
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Ovary
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Urinary Bladder
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Kidney
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Renal Pelvis, Ureter and Other Urinary Organs
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Eye and Orbit
- Malignant Neoplasms of the Thyroid
We are committed to representing, filing claims for and protecting the rights of our heroes. Please contact a Zadroga Act attorney at Douglas & London in New York, NY, today to learn more about compensation available under the Zadroga Act and the VCF.