Co-op City Slip and Fall Lawyers
The majority of people will suffer some type of slip and fall accident during their lives. When the unexpected occurs, embarrassment and shock usually take over. But what if the accident wasn’t your fault, or you’re uncertain who is responsible?
Property owners and landlords have a duty to keep their grounds in a reasonably safe condition that is free of hazards. That means conducting routine inspections, making prompt repairs, and alerting guests about potential risks. If they fail to comply, and a customer gets injured, they may be held liable.
As the victim of a slip and fall accident, you may qualify for compensation to pay your medical-related expenses and cover financial losses while you were out of work. An experienced slip and fall lawyer at Douglas & London can review your case and fight for the maximum compensation you are owed. We are proud to serve residents throughout the Co-op City area with personalized, client-driven advocacy.
Proving fault in a slip and fall injury claim
When you partner with Douglas & London, our Co-op City slip and fall lawyers will get to work immediately to pinpoint which person or entity was fully or partially responsible.
Whether your accident occurred near a construction site, a parking lot, stadium, or a hotel, we will delve into important issues such as:
- Could the proprietor have taken measures to prevent your slip and fall?
- Was the property owner or landlord aware of the hazard that caused your accident?
- Did the property owner post warning signs?
- Would a “reasonable” person have discovered and addressed the hazard?
- Did the property owner or manager cause the safety issue (spilling a drink, leaving debris in walkways, etc.)?
Know what to do after a slip and fall
No one expects to fall down a stairwell or take a tumble on an icy sidewalk. Even if you’re confused and in pain, it’s essential to keep calm. The steps you take immediately after can make or break a legal claim.
Protect your ability to recover from negligent parties by:
- Reporting the accident to the supervisor, manager, owner or landlord
- Summon help and get seen by a doctor so your injuries can be documented
- Document the accident scene by taking photographs that illustrate where your fell
- Take notes about the accident while it’s still fresh in your mind. How did you fall, at what angle, what kind of shoes where you wearing?
- Identify people at the scene who witnessed the accident and get their contact information
- Follow all medical care instructions and keep all records
- Decline to give a statement to insurance adjustors until speaking with an attorney
Free consultation with our team of Co-op City slip and fall lawyers
A slip and fall attorney at Douglas & London can help you secure fair compensation. Reach out today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.