Should I Go to the Doctor After a Slip and Fall?
Absolutely. It takes a medical expert to determine the extent of your injuries. Ignoring this essential safeguard can cause problems ranging from prolonged discomfort to loss of life. It’s always best to act with caution where your health is concerned.
The high cost of putting off medical care
Research shows that millions of Americans each year put off seeing the doctor.
There are three major reasons why people avoid taking this important step:
- Dislike of medical settings in general: This concern is understandable. But it can backfire on you over time, since disregarding medical conditions usually increases their severity. A single visit to your local clinic might be all it takes to prevent a lengthy, and expensive, hospital stay.
- The belief that medical care is unnecessary: “It’s just a minor ache, probably nothing; I’m sure it’s not worth worrying about; The doctor will charge me 100 bucks just to say there’s nothing wrong with me.” Any of those excuses sound familiar? Not only are they common, they’re also dangerously mistaken much of the time.
- Concern over costs: Paying for quality medical care is never cheap. But that’s no reason to forego the treatment you need. A better approach is to talk to a personal injury lawyer about receiving the compensation you deserve.
Perhaps your reasons for avoiding post-accident medical care are different from the ones above. Even so, the dangers of putting off a doctor visit are much too dire to ignore. First get the treatment you need, then focus on financial concerns afterwards.
Working with your healthcare provide to afford necessary treatment
Please don’t misunderstand us. We’re not saying that you should ignore your financial responsibilities or run up needless medical bills. We are saying that your health and wellbeing are what matters most.
With that in mind, here are some tips for affording the care you need:
- Look into free or low-cost medical care in your area: These clinics may be able to provide emergency or short-term solutions until other options become available.
- Talk to the office manager about payment plans: Many medical practices are happy to work out arrangements with those who need care, especially after an accident.
- Talk to a law firm in your area: Our New York slip and fall lawyers can act as your advocate in a variety of ways. For example, he or she may refer you to healthcare providers who will provide the treatment you need now and worry about getting paid later.
Three tips for choosing the right law firm
Once you decide to seek legal representation, the next step is to choose the right law firm.
Here are three guidelines to keep in mind:
- Having an attorney on your side gives you an advantage you wouldn’t have otherwise: Insurance companies and negligent parties are far more likely to give you the respect you deserve, if they know you’re serious about achieving a fair resolution to your case.
- Reputable law firms never use high-pressure tactics: Some people put off talking to an attorney due to fears that they’ll be pressured into handing over their money. If that’s your worry, then you can relax. Any law office worthy of your attention will offer free consultations and contingency terms. If they don’t, then pass them by.
- Word are powerful but results are what matter: Look for a law firm with a proven track record of getting favorable results. For example, the attorneys here at Douglas and London have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients, a figure which speaks for itself.
Get in touch with the New York City personal injury lawyers of Douglas and London today to schedule your free consultation. We only collect our fees if your case prevails. Available 24/7 for your convenience.