What Are the Most Common Injuries Suffered in Rideshare Accidents?
An Uber or Lyft accident can cause injuries to any part of the body, including the head, face, torso, and extremities. Injuries can range from minor to severe, and sometimes permanent partial or total disability can result. If you’ve been in a rideshare accident and have sustained severe injuries, the last thing you should have to worry about is how to pay your medical bills while missing time at work.
You need dedicated legal guidance from an NYC Uber accident lawyer. At Douglas & London, we understand the nuances of rideshare accidents. We work closely with accident victims to help them secure maximum compensation.
Common types of trauma in rideshare accidents
It’s quite common for a rideshare accident victim to suffer from polytrauma. This refers to multiple types of trauma or injuries, and may include:
- Blunt force trauma: This occurs when the body is subjected to a forceful impact from a blunt object that does not penetrate the skin. For example, your head may be thrust into the airbag, or your body may be thrown against the dashboard.
- Penetrating trauma: This involves the penetration of the skin. In a rideshare accident, this is usually caused by splintered metal or shattered windshield glass. It can also be inflicted by objects within the car are forcefully projected through the air when the impact occurs.
- Internal trauma: During an accident, the rideshare car forcefully decelerates when it strikes another car or other object. This can result in internal trauma to your internal organs.
Common types of injuries sustained in rideshare accidents
Given the widespread effects of sudden deceleration in an accident, it’s not surprising that many types of injuries can result. Victims may experience any of the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): A traumatic brain injury can range from a mild concussion to severe brain damage that may result in coma or death. Moderate to severe TBIs can have permanent effects on a person’s behavioral, cognitive, and emotional health, as well as their sensory perceptions. Even when a TBI is relatively mild, the symptoms may linger for a long time. During the recovery time, it’s critical that the patient avoid “close work,” such as using computers. This can significantly limit a person’s ability to work.
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a soft tissue injury that affects the neck. The neck is a complex structure of ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves. When these soft tissues become hyperextended, they can tear or stretch, resulting in the neck stiffness and pain that is characteristic of whiplash. Neurological symptoms like headaches, dizziness, and tinnitus can also result.
- Extremity injuries: The arms, legs, hands, and feet are commonly injured in rideshare accidents. Sometimes, this occurs as a person throws up their arms in an attempt to shield their bodies from harm. Lacerations, broken bones, and sprains are a few examples of extremity injuries.
These are just a few examples of the most common injuries sustained in rideshare accidents. It’s always important to keep track of your symptoms, diagnoses, and medical treatments throughout your recovery and to keep your personal injury lawyer informed of the latest developments.
Contact an established NYC accident law firm
The New York City personal injury lawyers at Douglas & London set the standard for litigation services in the region, with more than $4 billion in verdicts and settlements secured on behalf of our clients. We understand the complex challenges of victims of severe accidents, and we are committed to helping you secure the compensation you need to take care of yourself and your family. Contact us today to request your free consultation with an NYC Lyft accident lawyer. We never charge a fee unless we win.