What Happens in a Rear-End Accident?
For most people, a head-on auto collision is the worst type of car crash imaginable. However, your odds of suffering serious injury are just as high from a rear-end crash.
In this post, our New York City car accident lawyers will outline the health risks that come with this type of collision. In addition, we’ll also discuss your options for getting the compensation you deserve. Keep this information in mind when deciding your next move.
The “surprise factor” associated with rear-end auto accidents
“I never saw them coming,” or “The other vehicle just popped up out of the blue,” these are some of the comments we often hear from victims of rear-end auto accidents. They illustrate a disturbing fact about this particular type of collision– the injured parties rarely have time to brace themselves for the impact.
Nobody likes an unwelcome surprise. Imagine how much trauma an auto accident can inflict when it comes out of nowhere.
One moment you’re relaxed and enjoying the ride. The next– you’re suffering severe pain and worried that each breath you take could be your last. This is why safety experts consider this kind of collision one of the worst forms of trauma a person can experience.
The psychological shock of a rear-end auto accident is usually accompanied by one or more forms of physical injury. These can include:
- Whiplash: The physical forces involved with a rear-end collision create a cascading effect that travels through the victim’s spine, neck, and skull. Whiplash can cause a wide range of injuries, from stiff muscles to broken bones or even permanent paralysis.
- Broken fingers, wrists, or arms: Caused by the victim’s body being thrust forward while gripping the steering wheel. These injuries are often accompanied by severe bruising and swelling.
- Neck and back pain: The human spine contains 33 separate vertebrae, all of which are vulnerable to the forces unleashed by a rear-end auto collision. Consequences for the victim can include profound physical discomfort, damaged or deadened nerves, and loss of physical mobility.
- Concussions or other forms of brain injury: The human brain is a complex structure. It’s also one of the most delicate. Victims of rear-end auto collisions commonly suffer headaches, loss of consciousness, or even traumatic brain injury (TBI).
The psychological effects
Physical suffering is only one dimension of the trauma caused by rear-end auto accidents. As any experienced personal injury attorney can tell you, the “out of the blue” aspect of these types of collisions can inflict mental and emotional trauma as well.
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is especially common. One way to understand PTSD is to think of it as a “panic switch” that is permanently locked in the ON position. The sufferer is unable to move past the incident and get on with their life.
Fortunately, mental health professionals have developed several effective treatments for PTSD. But, unsurprisingly, this type of therapy can be costly. This leads to the next aspect of our topic, the legal and financial aspects of surviving a rear-end collision.
Getting the compensation you deserve
As an accident victim, your life has been turned upside down. The last thing you need is the stress of dealing with insurance companies or the at-fault party in your accident.
That’s why it’s a good idea for you to talk to our New York City personal injury lawyers as soon as possible. Here’s what you can expect when you contact us here at Douglas and London:
- No worries about big legal bills: Consultations are always free, and we work on contingency. This means we do not charge our clients directly.
- Easy availability anytime day or night: Someone from our office is available 24/7. Just give us a call or reach out to us online.
- Compassionate advocacy for your interests: You’ll never have to worry about intimidation or high-pressure tactics when Douglas and London are in your corner. Our job is to fight for your rights, even when the other side is aggressive.
- A refreshing, client-centered approach to practicing law: You’re never just a case number to us.
Contact us today for a free consultation
Get in touch with Douglas and London today to schedule your free consultation. We’ll soon have you on the road to a better, brighter future.