What Happens if You Get into a Car Accident Without Insurance in New York?
Driving without auto insurance is a serious crime throughout New York State. Maintaining coverage on your vehicle is one of the responsibilities you assume when you become a motorist. Failing to do so puts innocent people at risk.
A no-win situation no matter how you look at it
There are many smart ways to save money. Taking your chances by driving without auto insurance is not one of them. Here’s why:
- Drivers in New York State are required to display a decal on their vehicles, which shows that they have insurance: Failure to do so is like announcing to the world that you’re breaking the law. Traffic officers are sure to notice.
- New York imposes stiff penalties for not keeping insurance on your vehicle: These include fines of up to $900, along with a reinstatement fee of $750. Continuing to flaunt the law can result in your vehicle being impounded and your license being revoked. You can also end up in jail.
- Driving without insurance leaves you and your vehicle at serious risk: New York is a “no-fault” state, which meansthat each driver’s insurance covers them in the event of an accident. With no coverage backing you up, you’ll be stuck with the costs of repairing your vehicle and, very possibly, the costs of your own accident-related healthcare.
- Driving without coverage is not worth the risk: Operating a vehicle without insurance puts everyone at risk, including yourself.
What happens if you’re in an accident with an uninsured driver
New York’s no-fault system affords you a degree of protection from accidents involving an uninsured driver. Your insurance will take care of related expenses up to the pre-set policy limit.
This is why it’s a good idea to choose the highest levels of coverage you can reasonably afford. It’s always better to have too much than not enough.
When it’s time to call a lawyer
Talking to an uninsured motorist accident attorney is always a good idea after an auto accident. Here’s why:
- Insurance companies may not have your best interests in mind: Make no mistake; auto insurers provide a valuable product that every driver needs. But sometimes they let concerns about their bottom line override their duty to their policyholders. Working with a team of New York City car accident lawyers is a great way to remind them of their true priorities.
- Every auto accident has aspects that are not always obvious: Many factors can contribute to an accident, such as automaker safety defects, poorly maintained roads, and missing or inadequate traffic signs. It takes a skilled law firm, like Douglas and London, to uncover these angles and make the negligent parties accountable.
- Consulting with a capable law firm will tell you where you stand: You’ll know exactly what your options are so that you can decide upon the best course of action.
Choosing the right law firm
Here’s why Douglas and London are worthy of your consideration:
- Our track record: Our New York City personal injury lawyers have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients over the years, a figure which speaks for itself.
- Our resources: We enjoy strong working relationships with medical, financial, and investigative experts who can help to build the strongest possible case while maximizing your chances for a full recovery from your accident.
Get in touch with us today to schedule your no-cost consultation with a personal injury lawyer. We’re available 24/7 for your convenience.