Brooklyn Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you are a motorcyclist, you know all about the thrill of the open road. But unfortunately, motorcycle enthusiasts also need to be aware of how dangerous bike crashes can be, as they can change your life forever. In fact, New York City’s fatal crash rate is nearly twice for New York State motorcyclists and much higher than the national average. Contact a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer at Douglas & London for a free consultation if this has happened to you. We have achieved unparalleled results in individual cases and complex litigations.
Here are some of the primary causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Lack of visibility – Cars and trucks are generally more prevalent on the road, so drivers are more accustomed to looking for them.
- Speeding – Driving at excessive speeds can lead to devastating results for motorcyclists.
- Distracted driving – Texting, eating, or reading while driving.
- Unsafe lane changes or merges.
- Following too closely – Getting rear-ended can be dangerous for anyone in a vehicle. Because motorcyclists do not have the same protective shield as a car, the damage resulting from rear-ended can be particularly severe.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Failing to yield the right of way.
Here are some of the injuries commonly associated with bike crashes:
- Road rash is defined as severe lacerations in a motorcycle crash.
- Bone breaks and fractures
- Ligament sprains and tears
- Neck, back, and spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Permanent disfigurement or scarring
- Emotional trauma, such as depression, anxiety, or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Wrongful death
In some motorcycle accidents, it is clear that the other driver was solely responsible for the crash. However, in many others, the facts surrounding it indicate that multiple parties may have shared some of the fault. At Douglas & London, we are frequently asked by prospective clients whether they can still file a personal injury claim with a Brooklyn motorcycle accident attorney even if they were partially responsible for the crash.
Fortunately, New York is a pure comparative negligence state. Therefore, you can still recover financial compensation for a motorcycle accident– if you were not 100 percent at fault. In other words, even if you were deemed to have been 99 percent responsible for the crash, you could still receive financial compensation with the help of a Brooklyn, NY motorcycle accident lawyer.
Generally, your total amount of damages incurred will be reduced proportionately to your share of the fault. For example, if you sustained $2 million worth of damages and were found 90 percent responsible for the accident, you would still receive $200,000.
How You Will Benefit by Meeting with a Lawyer
The facts surrounding motorcycle accidents are often complex, and insurance companies are frequently biased against motorcyclists. Our attorneys at Douglas and London strongly advise that you consult with an experienced Brooklyn NY motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible following your crash. In this consultation, you will learn about your legal rights, any looming legal deadlines, the strengths and weaknesses of your case, and the approximate financial value of your claim.
Contact Us at Douglas & London for a Free Consultation
Since our practice opened in 2002, we have earned more than $18 billion in verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients. We work tirelessly to help maximize your financial compensation and help you and your family rebuild your lives. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact us today to book a free consultation with a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer. You will never receive a legal bill from us unless you win your case.