What’s the Statute of Limitations on a Slip and Fall in New York?
New York state law sets a time limit of three years from the date of your accident in which to file a court action. The sooner you act, the greater your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve.
The clock is always ticking
Statutes of limitation are an essential safeguard built into every state’s law code. But they also impose hard and fast time limits on accident victims. The longer you wait to act, the more challenges your case will come up against. Here’s why:
- Even the most substantial evidence has a limited shelf life: Video records are lost or deleted, paper documents are misplaced, and witnesses forget crucial details. What seems like an open and shut case today may turn into a legal long shot tomorrow.
- Negligent parties count on accident victims procrastinating: They know that time is on their side, not yours. By putting off your decision to seek legal action, you give them exactly what they want.
- Obtaining an extension on a statute of limitations is almost impossible: Only in very rare cases does a court waive these hard and fast rules. Once you miss your chance, your odds of getting another opportunity to seek justice are remote.
Ever hear the old saying, “justice delayed is justice denied?” It’s true. The time to act is now.
Three reasons why accident victims delay taking legal action
Despite these facts, far too many accident victims still put off their search for justice. More often than not, their reasons for doing so come down to one of three concerns:
- Fear of confrontation: Some people do not like to confront others. They are afraid of causing hard feelings or ending up in a prolonged personal or legal battle. A good law firm can relieve these fears by taking this on for you.
- Fear of failure: Seeking action against a wealthy business or affluent individual can be stressful for accident victims. People often worry that it’s not a level playing field– when it comes to pursuing legal action. Fortunately, many skilled attorneys know how to take on wealthy and powerful corporations and win.
- Fear of intimidation: Nobody likes to feel pressured or threatened. Yet this is precisely what many accident victims experience when they decide to seek compensation, especially when they do so without the benefit of legal counsel.
Each of these concerns has its merits. However, the solution is not to give up. Instead, you should choose the very best personal injury lawyer you can find to represent your case.
How do you make such an important decision? Here are three qualities to look for in whatever law firm you choose:
- A proven track record of getting results: There’s nothing wrong with a law firm mentioning how much money it has recovered for its clients over the years. This is an excellent gauge of what you can expect when you put your case in their hands.
- Robust legal and fact-finding resources: A good personal injury lawyer is one part skilled investigator, one part seasoned attorney, and one part trusted confidant. Do not settle for anything less.
- A clients-first attitude: The problem with many law firms is that they treat clients like case numbers. Look for a law firm that offers free consultations, works on contingency, and protects its clients from intimidation and other high-pressure tactics.
Contact us for a free consultation
At Douglas and London, our New York City slip and fall lawyers have recovered more than $18 billion for our clients over the years. We are known and respected throughout the Empire State for our ethics, integrity, and high-powered legal skills.
Get in touch with us today to schedule your no-cost consultation. Someone from our office is available 24/7 to speak to you. When things go wrong, we can help to set them right.