What Should I Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
Your health always comes first, so you should seek medical attention right away. Once you’re feeling better, you should contact our New York City slip and fall lawyers to discuss your legal options. Prompt action is key to getting the compensation you deserve.
Call our experienced slip and fall attorneys for a free consultation!
Common causes of slip and fall accidents
Millions of slip and fall accidents occur each year, according to the CDC. Reasons for them vary. In many cases, however, they stem from one or more of the following causes:
- Wet or slippery floors: Caused by spilled liquids, rain, snow, or ice.
- Trip hazards: Property owners are responsible for keeping public areas free of these threats. When they fail to do so, innocent people may pay the price.
- Elevated areas: Such as staircases or steps. These are especially dangerous when they’re hard to see.
- Unmarked hazard areas: Such as freshly mopped floors with no “wet floor” sign in place.
- Loose or missing stair rails: All of us need a secure handrail when ascending or descending stairs.
- Loose carpet or tile: This is one of the most common slip or trip hazards.
What a slip and fall accident can do to your health
The consequences of these accidents range from minor to life-threatening. Here are some of the most common:
- Severe bruising: Leading to prolonged periods of physical discomfort and restricted mobility.
- Cuts and lacerations: Which can cause serious infections requiring antibiotics or antiviral drugs.
- Bruised, cracked, or broken ribs: Even mild cases can put the victim out of commission for several weeks or longer.
- Fractured or broken bones: Hip injuries are especially severe and can lead to lifelong disability.
- Concussions: Causing problems ranging from prolonged headaches to traumatic brain damage.
What to do if you fall victim to a slip and fall injury
Take the time to check yourself out thoroughly. Are you in pain? Do you notice any cuts, bruises, or other obvious signs of injury? Do you feel faint or dizzy? Is exercising a full range of motion painful or difficult? You should seek medical care eight away unless you’re absolutely sure you haven’t sustained an injury.
Once you’ve been checked out by a medical professional, the next step is to contact a personal injury lawyer. Here’s why:
- Recovering from an injury is never cheap: Along with medical care, you’ll probably deal with lost time at work and the costs of prescription or over the counter medications.
- Insurance companies often try to lowball accident victims: In other words, they try to pressure people like you into accepting a token settlement. The idea is to protect its profit margin at your expense.
- Only a skilled personal injury attorney can advise you on legal matters: Unfortunately, many accident victims rely on hearsay or unreliable information from the Internet rather than seeking professional advice. This is a serious mistake that can lead to lifelong problems and regrets.
- Personal injury law firms can help you in ways you never anticipated: Such as offering emotional support, connecting you with skilled healthcare providers, and keeping you updated as your case progresses. Not only can this help you to feel better, but it can also make your recovery efforts more productive.
Injured in a slip and fall accident? Tap to call for a FREE consultation!
Choosing the right slip and fall attorney
Once you decide to seek legal help, the next step is to choose the right law firm to handle your case. Here’s what to look for:
- A history of getting results: For example, did you know that the New York City personal injury lawyers at Douglas and London have recovered more than $4 billion for our clients? If the firm you’re considering can’t say as much, then perhaps it’s best to look elsewhere.
- A laser-like focus on client wellbeing: This means offering free consultations, working on contingency, and being available 24/7 throughout the year.
- A reputation as one of the leading law firms in the country: We are known and respected throughout the country for our ethics and commitment to professional excellence.
Slip and fall accidents can strike at any time. Strike back by getting in touch with us today. Remember, we’re here to help.