Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys Prepared to Uphold Your Rights
The National Spinal Cord Injury Association estimates that there are about 500,000 Americans living with spinal cord injuries. These injuries can lead to significant financial burdens and long-lasting mental anguish for the victim as well as his or her family. Our team of spinal cord injury attorneys at Douglas & London in New York, NY, can investigate these injuries to identify the responsible party. Spinal cord injuries can range from mild muscle weakness to complete paralysis. Contact our law firm at (212) 566-7500 or send an electronic message to schedule a free consultation.
The National Spinal Cord Injury Association estimates that there are about 500,000 Americans living with spinal cord injuries. These injuries can range from mild muscle weakness to complete paralysis.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury can happen under a wide variety of circumstances. They are usually serious and sometimes life-threatening. Some common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Accidents involving cars, large trucks, or motorcycles can result in spinal cord injuries.
- Acts of Violence: Gunshot and knife wounds can cause serious damage to the spinal cord. Physical violence can also result in a spinal cord injury.
- Slip and Falls: You may not associate slip and fall accidents with serious injuries, but they often result in spinal cord or head injuries. Falling on your back can cause significant harm to your spinal cord and could result in permanent damage.
- Sports Injuries: Athletes at the greatest risk of a spinal cord injury are those who participate in high-contact sports such as football.
Long-Term Effects of a Spinal Cord Injury
Non-fatal spinal cord injuries often require extensive surgeries and physical therapy. In cases of permanent paralysis, the injured party will need a wheelchair and modifications made to his or her home. A special vehicle or modifications to a vehicle may also be necessary. Severe spinal cord injuries usually require some form of long-term care, whether it is in the home or in a facility. Your injury may also prevent you from returning to work. Most victims of a spinal cord injury need psychological counseling to help them cope with the drastic changes they have undergone.
Importance of Legal Representation
It is important to work with an attorney who has a track record of success in spinal injury cases. Our attorneys have recovered millions in restitution for spinal injury victims and their families. We can aggressively pursue damages to compensate you for:
- Any past, current, and future medical expenses associated with your injury, including surgery, physical or occupational therapy, wheelchairs, and other equipment
- Lost wages due to time missed from work, or loss of income if your injury prevents you from returning to work
- Physical and mental pain and suffering related to your injury
- Reduction in your quality of life as a result of your injury
If you or a loved one has suffered a severe spinal cord injury due to another party’s negligence, contact Douglas & London online or call (212) 566-7500 today to schedule your free consultation. We work on a contingency basis, and collect no fees unless we achieve a settlement or jury award on your behalf.
"Since the inception of the firm, Douglas & London has taken the opportunity to give back to the community. It is a right, a privilege and a responsibility our firm takes very seriously. We fully understand that without community, there’s no Douglas & London."-- The Team at Douglas & London