What is a Catastrophic Injury in New York?
A catastrophic injury has a permanent impact on the victim’s life. The consequences can include long-term physical discomfort, reduced mobility, and the inability to work or to enjoy favorite activities. The extreme nature of it makes a consultation with a New York personal injury lawyer essential for the victim’s well-being. Prompt legal action can help you to get the compensation you deserve.
When life puts something devastating in your way
Fortunately, the vast majority of accidents are relatively minor. Sometimes, however, life sends something awful our way in the form of a catastrophic injury. These are particularly serious types of physical trauma that involve one or more of the following factors:
- Extended recuperation times: Catastrophic injuries can require months or even years of arduous medical treatments to manage. Sometimes the patient undergoes multiple surgeries and spends extended periods in a clinic or hospital.
- Long-term or even permanent impact on the victim’s quality of life: Catastrophic injuries often force their victims to give up favorite activities, change careers, or abandon important life goals. In the worst cases, the person loses the ability to support themselves and must rely on public programs or private charity to pay medical bills and meet necessary living expenses.
- Reliance upon mobility aids, facility care, or living-in-place modifications: Often, a catastrophic injury forces the victim to use assistive devices such as a walking cane or wheelchair. Other times, the patient must either move to an assisted care facility or pay for extensive modifications to their home.
- Depression, anxiety, and other psychological challenges: Sometimes, the worst thing about a catastrophic injury is the impact it has on the victim’s self-image, confidence, and emotional well-being. Managing these problems can require ongoing care from a psychologist, counselor, or support group.
- Protracted financial ordeals: A catastrophic injury can impact the victim’s economic situation in two ways, by reducing their ability to earn income and by imposing high costs for medical and therapeutic care. These problems can add significantly to the burdens already endured by the patient.
A Douglas and London personal injury lawyer can’t give you back what bad luck or the carelessness of others has taken away. But they can help you to make the most of your life going forward. Here’s how:
- By helping you to understand your legal options: You’ll never know what’s possible until you talk to one of our attorneys.
- By offering compassion: Knowing that someone else hears what you’re saying and cares about your needs can make all the difference in the world.
- By standing up to insurance adjusters, at-fault parties, and bill collectors: The world would be a much better place if accident victims received the compassion and support they need. All too often, however, the opposite is true. Having an attorney in your corner can make aggressive parties back off, giving you valuable peace of mind.
- By building the strongest possible case for maximum compensation: You can be sure that the other side will do everything possible to deny responsibility and sweep the facts of your accident under the rug. You need a personal injury attorney who not only knows how to find the evidence but to present it powerfully.
- By sparing you from direct out-of-pocket costs for legal services: Any personal injury law firm worthy of your attention will nevercharge you directly for its services.
Contact us for a free consultation
Our attorneys here at Douglas and London have recovered more than $18 billion for clients over the years. They can help you, as well. But the first step is up to you. Get in touch with us today to schedule your no-cost consultation. We’re available 24/7 for your convenience.
We look forward to advocating for you.