Middletown Personal Injury Lawyers
Behind some illnesses and injuries lie the negligent or reckless conduct of another entity. When another person is fully or partially to blame, the law considers it a “personal injury.” Victims of personal injuries are entitled to pursue compensation that covers losses like medical bills, lost wages, disability-related home modifications, emotional distress, pain and suffering. In cases of death, surviving spouses and dependents may be eligible to receive money for burial and funeral expenses, in addition to funds for losses of companionship, guidance, and financial support if the decedent was a primary breadwinner.
If you are grappling with catastrophe, you don’t have to endure it alone. The Middletown personal injury lawyers of Douglas and London are here to take your call, anytime, 7 days a week.
Types of cases we handle
You may contact a personal injury lawyer for matters related to:
- Car, motorcycle, truck, SUV, bicycle, subway, bus, train, or pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall accidents and dog bites
- Defective drugs, consumer products, and medical devices
- Medical malpractice involving doctors, surgeons, and hospitals
- Workplace incidents, including construction site injuries
- Environmental toxin exposure and government mishandling
New York personal injury laws
New York differs from other states in some of its personal injury laws.
- Statute of Limitations – You have up to 3 years to file most personal injury lawsuits. In some exceptions, you may have up to 3 years after the discovery of harm, which may be different than the date of accident or illness. Minors may be granted an extension until after the injury or illness subsides. The filing deadline is two years for wrongful death cases, and 2.5 years for medical malpractice.
- Government Claims – If you are suing the government or a government-funded entity, you have 90 days to initiate your claim.
- Shared Fault – If you’re deemed partially at-fault for causing the injury or illness, your total amount of compensation will be reduced by your percentage of liability. For this reason, you’ll want Middletown personal injury lawyers who present a strong case defending your character and proving liability.
- No-Fault Car Insurance – Auto accidents follow a no-fault rule, where your own insurer covers the reimbursement of medical expenses and property damage, regardless of who was at-fault. You may step outside the system and sue if your injuries meet the “serious injury” threshold, which includes broken bones; damage to body organs, functions, or systems; significant disfigurement; or substantial full disability for 90 days.
Over $18 billion secured for our clients
The attorneys of Douglas and London proudly serve New York’s Hudson Valley region, including the residents of Middletown in Orange County. We provide free consultations to all prospective clients, as well as contingency-based legal representation.
After you sign an agreement with our team, we set to work, fronting all the costs associated with investigation, engaging in settlement talks, and pursuing litigation if necessary. Only after we secure compensation on your behalf does our pre-arranged legal fee come out of the total settlement or verdict. If your case doesn’t prove fruitful, you owe us nothing. In this way, you have nothing to lose in working with a top personal injury attorney and everything to gain.