When Should I Get an Attorney After a Car Accident?
It’s never too soon after an auto crash to talk to our skilled New York City car accident lawyers. The quicker you take this important step, the more likely you are to receive the full compensation you deserve for medical bills, lost income, pain, and suffering, and other damages.
Five benefits of working with an auto accident attorney
Ultimately, the choice of whether to work with a lawyer after your accident is up to you. But, before you make your decision, it’s important to understand the benefits that come from seeking legal representation.
Here are five ways that a skilled law firm can help you to put your life back together after an injury-causing car wreck:
- By reviewing the police report for accuracy and thoroughness: Law enforcement officers are trained in the basics of accident investigation. But, all too often, they miss important details that can have a pivotal effect on how your case turns out. It never hurts to have a second pair of eyes go over the information.
- By making sure that the insurance company’s offer is fair and accurate: Insurance firms often use arbitrary guidelines when working up a compensation offer. For example, adjusters may try to limit the amount of reimbursement you receive for visits to a chiropractor as opposed to a mainstream medical doctor. It takes a trained legal eye to spot these inconsistencies.
- By negotiating with insurers and at-fault parties on your behalf: Insurance adjusters are, by definition, vulnerable to a serious conflicts of interest. Often, their true agenda is to offer as little compensation as possible to accident victims, not to do what’s right. Understanding these tactics takes an attorney who knows as much about the claims process as the insurance companies themselves.
- Negotiating with aggressive creditors: Accident victims deserve compassionate care, not threats. A capable attorney knows how to deal with bill collectors.
- By offering encouragement and understanding when you need them the most: Sometimes, the most painful scars are invisible to the naked eye. This is certainly true for accident victims, who are often forced to cope with depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders. Hearing a kind word from someone who cares can help you to enjoy much-needed peace of mind.
Helping your attorney to help you
Even the most skilled personal injury lawyer will never know that you need their help unless you get in touch with them.
First, however, you should research the law firms in your area to decide which one is the best fit for your needs. Here are some tips to help you in your search:
- Remember that auto accident law is a specialized field: This means that a jack-of-all-trades attorney is probably not the right option. Instead, look for a firm with extensive experience in auto accident and personal injury law.
- Don’t be afraid to discuss dollar amounts: There’s nothing wrong with a law firm disclosing how much money it has recovered for accident victims. For example, the attorneys here at Douglas and London have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients, a figure which speaks for itself.
- Insist on a free consultation: No accident victim should have to pay money to talk to a legal professional.
- Look for a law firm that will work on contingency: This means that they only collect their fees if your case prevails, sparing you from the burden of paying out-of-pocket costs.
- Act now: Putting off the search for an attorney can forever rob you of the opportunity to receive compensation. Evidence is fragile, witnesses have short memories, and statutes of limitation are cast in stone.
Contact us today at Douglas and London
Once you consider all the facts, we’re confident that you’ll choose Douglas and London to handle your case. Find out for yourself how capable our New York City personal injury lawyers are by getting in touch with us today. Someone from our office is available 24/7, either online or at our toll-free number.