What Should I Expect Physically After a Car Accident?
The answer depends on the type of accident and its severity. Typical injuries include head trauma, back and neck pain, and nerve damage. It’s important to seek medical help.
Have You Been Injured? Click to call for a FREE consultation!
1.6 million auto wrecks a year
That’s the number of auto wrecks that result in injuries each year, according to research. Again, some of the most common include:
- Head trauma: The human brain is a remarkable organ. But it’s also quite fragile. Car collisions can cause a variety of head-related injuries, including fractured skulls, concussions, comas, or mental impairment.
- Neck or back pain: The spinal cord is a bundle of nerves that runs from the brain stem down the back. It’s supported by an intricate layer of vertebrae consisting of bones and soft tissue. Any injury to this part of the body can cause problems ranging from minor soreness to debilitating agony.
- Chest injuries: Your chest contains many of the organs that your body needs to survive, including your heart and lungs. It’s protected by your rib cage, which also supports the rest of your body. Trauma to the chest can result in broken ribs, ruptured organs, or internal bleeding.
- Broken bones: A high-speed auto collision has as much concussive force as a discharged firearm. It can shatter bones throughout your body, including your arms and legs. Airbags and seatbelts can help to minimize the impact, but only to a limited degree.
What to do if you’re in a car wreck
It’s important to remember that many injuries may take a few minutes or even longer to become obvious. The nervous system floods the body with adrenalin and endorphins at the moment of impact, reducing discomfort over the short term. But the painkilling effects soon wear off.
Other effects of an auto accident
Some problems that can stem from a car crash are not so much physical as mental or emotional. These include:
- Ongoing nervous stress: Caused by the emotional effects of being in a serious accident. This can lead to irritability, stomach problems, insomnia, or even nightmares.
- Depression: If the accident created major life changes—for example, the person can no longer take part in activities that previously brought them joy and relaxation.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): In some cases, an auto accident can leave an “imprint” on the victim’s mind that continues to haunt them for years afterward. This can result in fits of anger, or crippling anxiety.
Of course, not all auto accidents result in serious injuries. But your health and wellbeing are too important to risk. That’s why we urge you to seek medical care as soon as possible after a car wreck. You can never be too sure.
Injured in a car accident? Tap to call for a FREE consultation!
Affording the care you need
Some people put off seeking help because of concerns about costs. While this attitude is understandable, it can have lifelong consequences for you and your loved ones.
Talking to our New York City car accident lawyers can help you to get back up after you’ve been knocked down. Here are three good reasons to consider us at Douglas and London:
- We have the track record you need: Our attorneys have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients. Numbers like that give you every reason to have confidence in our services.
- We know how to deal with insurance companies and at-fault drivers: Sadly, sometimes these parties focus more on their bottom line than on doing what’s right. You need an attorney in your corner who knows how to stand up to their lowball tactics.
- We offer free consultations and contingency terms: So, you’ll never have to worry about paying out-of-pocket fees.
Get in touch with Douglas and London today to get started on the road to a better tomorrow. We’re available 24/7.