What is the Statute of Limitations on a Car Accident in New York?
The statute of limitations for filing an accident-related lawsuit in New York is normally three years. The sole exception to this rule is when someone dies in the collision. In that case, the deadline is two years from the date of that person’s death, not the date of the accident.
Why now is the time to contact an attorney
Contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible– here’s why:
- Evidence has an expiration date: Time has a way of erasing the proof you need to support your case. Witnesses forget key details, physical artifacts such as tire marks fade away, and public records are deleted or misplaced. These problems will only get worse over time.
- You need help now, not later: The injuries you suffered during your accident require the kind of help that only a skilled healthcare expert can provide. But, as you well know, medical treatment never comes cheap, even for people with health insurance.
- Life happens: As time goes on, the cares and concerns of daily life can force accident victims to delay their search for fair compensation until the window of opportunity closes forever.
Relying on insurance to make things right can backfire
Some accident victims resist the idea of contacting an attorney. Often, this is because they think that their insurance company has already offered them the best possible terms.
But has it? Consider the following facts:
- Insurance adjusters don’t work for accident victims: Their primary loyalty is to their employer, not to you. This can sometimes make them resort to tactics such as intimidation, high pressure, or outright misrepresentation.
- It never hurts to get a second opinion: There’s no such thing as a “simple” auto accident. It’s a good idea to let a second pair of skilled eyes review the events surrounding the crash, just in case.
- Working with an attorney sends a strong message to insurers and at-fault drivers: It tells them that you’re determined to get every penny of the compensation you rightly deserve. This, by itself, can make them revise their offer in your favor.
Once you decide to seek legal representation, your next step is to reach out to the very best law firm in your area. Here’s why so many injury victims have put their trust in Douglas and London over the years:
- We know how to get results: The experienced New York City car accident lawyers here at Douglas and London have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients over the years. These funds have helped thousands of accident victims to pay past-due bills, get much-needed medical treatments, and set themselves on the road to rest and recovery.
- We treat our clients with respect: That’s why we offer free consultations and make ourselves available 24/7. If we take your case, then we’ll work on a contingency basis. This means you’ll never have to worry about paying out-of-pocket fees.
- We’re known and respected throughout the legal community: This is especially significant in a lawyer-packed state like New York, where standing apart from the crowd takes exceptional integrity and outstanding legal skills.
- We do more than offer excellent legal representation: We also help to support a wide range of worthy causes. These include organizations that work for social justice, promote a better understanding of vital issues, and provide health services to the economically challenged.
Contact us at Douglas and London today
Get in touch with Douglas and London now to schedule your free consultation. Again, our New York City personal injury lawyers work on contingency, so there’s never a fee unless we prevail. Get the damages you need and deserve to rebuild your life.