What Happens if I’m Injured in a Rideshare Accident in New York?
Passengers who use ridesharing services such as Uber or Lyft are covered by the respective company’s insurance. Schedule an appointment with a car accident attorney in New York today to discuss your options for receiving maximum compensation.
Uber and Lyft have you covered
Many Uber and Lyft passengers worry about whether they’re covered in the event of an accident. Here’s the reassuring truth:
- Everyone who drives for Uber or Lyft carries company-sponsored insurance: These policies provide up to $1 million of protection for passengers involved in an auto collision if the rideshare driver caused the accident.
- If the driver of the other vehicle caused the accident, then you should file a claim with their insurer: It’s essential to get the name and contact information for this person’s insurance company.
- If the at-fault driver is uninsured, then Uber or Lyft will step in with uninsured motorist protection: This coverage provides compensation for your injuries and other damages up to a maximum of $1 million.
Every Uber or Lyft driver is required to show proof of coverage upon demand. You may want to ask the driver to provide this documentation for your peace of mind if nothing else.
Can you sue Uber or Lyft directly?
Uber and Lyft drivers are regarded as independent contractors by US law. This fact imposes strict limits on the parent company’s liability for their actions. The odds of a passenger successfully suing a rideshare company directly are small.
You may be wondering if it’s possible to bring legal action against the driver. Technically, this is within the bounds of the law. However, most rideshare contractors lack the assets to make the effort worthwhile.
In other words, you may win the case. But the compensation you receive, if any, will be minimal. In most instances, it’s better just to file a claim with the responsible insurance company.
Why you still need an attorney on your side
The fact that you’re dealing with an insurance company does not remove your need for legal representation. On the contrary, a skilled attorney is essential for the outcome of your claim. Here’s why:
- The insurance company has different priorities than yours: Your goal at this point in your life is to receive every penny of the compensation you deserve. The insurer’s goal, on the other hand, is to earn as much profit as possible. In many cases, this means pressuring accident victims into accepting a minimal settlement.
- The more you know about the circumstances surrounding your accident, the higher your chances for receiving fair treatment: In some cases, extenuating circumstances may increase the amount of compensation to which you’re entitled. Uncovering these special situations takes high-level investigative skills, the kind that auto accident law firms have spent years honing.
- An auto accident attorney can help in other ways: For example, they may be able to refer you to specially trained medical experts or rehabilitative therapists. You’ll never know what a law firm can do for you unless you ask.
Why Douglas and London?
With so many auto accident attorneys in the New York City area, why should you trust your case to Douglas and London?
That’s a great question. Here are four good answers:
- We get results: Our skilled attorneys have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients over the years– a record which speaks for itself.
- We never charge our clients directly: Douglas and London attorney consultations are always free. If we take your case, then we collect nothing unless it prevails. This means you will never have to pay us a dime out-of-pocket.
- We’re available right now: Someone on our staff is ready to talk to you anytime day or night, 365 days a year. You can reach us online or by giving us a call.
- Big insurance companies don’t scare us: We’re always glad to reach a fair settlement through negotiation. But, should common sense fail to prevail, we won’t hesitate to go to court.
Get in touch with Douglas and London today to discuss your compensation options. We look forward to being your advocate.