What Do I Do After a Car Accident That Wasn’t My Fault?
The one hard and fast rule to follow after any auto collision is to take care of yourself and, if necessary, any passengers in your car. Check everyone over for injuries and contact emergency responders if needed. Now is a great time for someone who’s trained in first aid to offer a helping hand.
Beyond this– you’ll need an official record of the accident for insurance purposes. So, make sure to ask for a copy of the police report. Also, having the testimony of an objective third party is important for protecting yourself against false accusations by the at-fault driver. Our experienced New York City car accident lawyers can help you present the truth of the matter before the insurance company and, if necessary, a court of law.
Witnesses can play a key role in how your claim proceeds, which is why you should talk to anyone who saw what happened.
Exchanging insurance details with the other party is essential. Insurers are usually the ones who issue a final ruling on who was at fault.
This is typically a simple, straightforward process. For example, a driver who backs up into another vehicle is, in most cases, the negligent party.
Pictures last longer than even the most vivid memories
Before the smartphone era, it was common practice for drivers to keep a disposable camera in their glove compartment. Photos are a great way to document your side of the story, just in case the at-fault driver tries to dispute the facts.
Most people don’t bother with old-fashioned film cameras anymore, thanks to modern innovations like camera-equipped smartphones. Still, even the fanciest smartphone won’t do you any good if you leave it at home. That’s why you should always take one along with you when you drive, even if you’re just going on a quick trip to the corner store. You never know when it’s camera function will come in handy.
Why talking to an attorney after an accident is a good idea
- Every case has its own complexities: Our nation’s laws are founded on the idea that everyone deserves justice. This means that we should withhold judgment until we have all the information. Discovering those details takes the help of a personal injury lawyer.
- The other party may try to dispute the facts: You shouldn’t be surprised if the at-fault driver tries to deny any responsibility.You need a legal professional on your side who knows how to poke holes in a fabricated story.
- There are always unexplored aspects of an accident: For example, let’s say that another driver rear-ends you. Where does the blame for this accident rest? Before you answer, remember that vehicle recalls are all too common these days. Getting the compensation you deserve takes knowing all of the parties who played a role in your accident.
Why you should contact us at Douglas and London today
- Our attorneys have recovered more than $18 billion for their clients: These funds have helped thousands of accident victims to pay their medical bills, make up for lost income so that they can rebuild their lives.
- We never charge for consultations: You’ll never need to worry about us sending you a bill. Our New York City personal injury lawyers collect a fee only if your case prevails.
- We’re available at whatever time works best for you: Even if that’s 2 a.m. on a Saturday night. There’s always a staff member ready to talk to you, either online or by giving us a toll-free phone call.
Get in touch with us today for a free case evaluation.