Should I See a Chiropractor After a Car Accident?
Chiropractic care is an effective way to treat many forms of back and neck pain, including injuries caused by car accidents. But all forms of treatment cost money, which is why you should talk to our New York City car accident lawyers as soon as possible. Prompt action can help you to get the compensation you rightly deserve to pay for that treatment.
Chiropractic care: safe and effective, but not for everyone
Chiropractic care is the most popular form of alternative medicine in the Western world. It now enjoys widespread acceptance in the mainstream medical community.
For decades, chiropractors and traditional physicians engaged in heated discussions—based on the validity of their approach to healing. This controversy culminated in a landmark 1990 ruling in which a federal appeals court ruled that the American Medical Association (AMA) had unfairly tried to marginalize chiropractic physicians.
This decision, along with years of careful scientific study, supports the conclusion that chiropractic care is indeed an effective form of treatment for many cases of back and neck pain. So yes, seeing a chiropractor may offer real benefits for your health after an auto accident.
Not all injuries respond to chiropractic treatment, however. The human spine is an immensely complicated mechanism. What works for one patient may be ineffective or even harmful to another.
Because of this, it’s probably best to have a medical doctor perform a complete exam before choosing a course of treatment. Typically, this will involve x-rays and possibly an MRI.
If, at that time, you and your physician agree that chiropractic care is a viable option in your case, then you may want to look for a qualified chiropractor in your area.
Finding the right chiropractor
All legitimate chiropractors in the US are overseen by the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners (NBCE), a regulatory agency that sets and enforces standards of excellence throughout the profession. Make sure the chiropractor you’re considering is authorized by the NBCE.
Chiropractors must complete eight years of college, including four years at an approved chiropractic institute. This is important for ensuring that you will receive quality care.
Part of an overall plan for your post-accident recovery
Chiropractic care is most effective when it’s part of a comprehensive treatment plan that includes physical therapy, conventional medicine, and, for many people, personal counseling.
One thing that all of these forms of treatment have in common is that they all cost money. This is where a personal injury law firm comes into the picture. Talking to a personal injury attorney should be part of your post-accident plans. Here’s why:
- Insurance companies are worried about themselves, not you: As private organizations. Insurers make money by charging premiums, not by paying out claims. This gives them an economic incentive to offer less than you should be willing to take.
- Working with an attorney sends the right message: It tells insurers and at-fault drivers that you’re determined to receive a fair outcome to your case. They will treat you accordingly.
- Peace of mind has a powerful healing effect: Knowing that a skilled legal team is working hard to protect your interests can help you to relax and focus on your recovery, rather than worrying about medical bills and lost income.
Once you decide to seek legal help, the next step is choosing the right law firm. Thousands of accident victims have found that our firm, Douglas and London, is the perfect fit for their needs. Here’s what sets our New York City personal injury lawyers apart:
- Our reputation: We’re known and respected throughout the country for our rock-solid commitment to our clients.
- Our record: Our experienced attorneys have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients, a figure which can’t help but inspire trust.
- Our accessibility: We’re available 24/7, either online or by giving us a call.
Get in touch with Douglas and London today to arrange your no-cost consultation.