Bedford Park Personal Injury Lawyers
Accidents happen but when someone else is to blame, it adds another layer of stress and worry. In legal terms, an injury that was caused by the negligence or recklessness of another person or entity is known as a “personal injury” and those who suffer as a result may be entitled to compensation. The process can be confusing and complex but a personal injury lawyer works through it every day.
When you or a loved one are suffering, the Bedford Park personal injury lawyers of Douglas and London are ready to get to work on your behalf. We put our two decades of experience to work for those who have been hurt in the Bronx and throughout New York City.
Where personal injuries occur
Personal injuries can happen anywhere– from a slip and fall at the New York Botanical Garden to a dangerous medical device complication at a nearby hospital. Some of the cases our experienced attorneys at Douglas and London handle include:
- Auto accidents, including those involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, mass transit, and commercial vehicles
- Premises liability, for example, slip and fall, trip and fall, defective maintenance, swimming pool accidents, and dog bites
- Workplace accidents such as construction site injuries
- Medical-related injuries, from medical malpractice to defective medical products to dangerous drugs
- Sex offenses including child sexual abuse and sex trafficking
- Toxic tort exposure where the plaintiff alleges that exposure to a dangerous substance caused harm
Who can be liable for a personal injury?
For a person or entity– whether corporate or government– to be liable for a personal injury, that defendant must have breached a duty. This means that they either acted unreasonably carelessly or failed to do something they were required to do.
The Bedford Park personal injury lawyers at Douglas and London look at an incident from every angle to determine who may be legally at fault. For example, a commercial truck accident may have been caused by a driver’s failure to stop in time. However, faulty maintenance by a shop or a defective mechanical part may have been an underlying factor in the crash. By recognizing and investigating these factors, our attorneys increase the likelihood that our clients will be fully compensated for their losses.
Compensation available after a personal injury
New Yorkers have the right to recover for both the economic and non-economic losses they suffer due to someone else’s wrongdoing. If you have been injured in an accident, you may be entitled to:
- Reimbursement for medical bills and related costs
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional impact
- Long-term effects like disability and loss of enjoyment of life
- Spouse’s loss of consortium
For non-monetary losses, there are a few ways to calculate the values, but insurance companies use methods such as computer programs that undervalue the claims. Douglas and London’s skilled attorneys understand how to calculate the full value of a claim and advocate for fair compensation. This approach has led to over $18 billion recovered on behalf of our clients.
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury because of someone else’s poor choice, schedule a free consultation with a Bedford Park personal injury attorney at Douglas and London. There is no obligation or risk – we represent clients on contingency, so we only get paid a legal fee if we recover compensation on your behalf.