Our Vaccine Injury Attorneys Can Pursue Justice on Your Behalf
Each year, vaccines are administered to millions in the United States. In some cases, the vaccinations can cause or lead to severe injury, disability, illness, and death. In the event that you or a loved one is suffering as a result of a vaccination, our vaccine injury attorneys at Douglas & London in New York, NY, can help you collect the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys have secured more than $2 million on behalf of clients injured as a result of vaccinations. Many vaccines have common and relatively harmless temporary side effects. More serious reactions can also happen, causing permanent harm and financial hardship for you and your family. If you or a loved one has suffered an adverse reaction to a vaccine, contact our law firm online or call (212) 566-7500 to book a case review.
Vaccine-Related Injuries, Reactions, and Disorders
Despite the intent to prevent serious illnesses and diseases, sometimes vaccines are the causes of severe injuries and disorders:
- This is a severe and potentially fatal allergic reaction that often involves a swelling and closing of the airways. Anaphylaxis typically happens within 30 minutes to several hours following a vaccine.
- Although a common reaction, it can take several days for seizures to occur, which can make it more difficult to link to a vaccine.
- Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS):
- This condition involves the immune system attacking the peripheral nervous system, resulting in severe muscle weakness and potential paralysis. GBS symptoms may appear as early as one day following the vaccine or may take several weeks to become apparent.
- Brachial Neuritis:
- This condition is an inflammation of the nerves that control feeling and movement in the shoulder, arm, hand, and fingers. Brachial neuritis often begins with sharp pains in the shoulder or arm and is frequently misdiagnosed. After a few weeks, the pain turns into muscle weakness or atrophy in the arm.
- Transverse Myelitis (TM):
- TM is a neurological disorder that is characterized by inflammation of the spinal cord. It is an autoimmune disorder that may start as pain in the lower back and muscle weakness. The disorder rapidly progresses and can result in paralysis of the lower body. TM symptoms may appear over the course of several hours or several weeks.
Some victims of vaccine injuries eventually make a complete, or almost complete, recovery from their injuries. Unfortunately for others, these injuries can cause irreversible damage.
Our attorneys have secured more than $2 million on behalf of clients injured as a result of vaccinations.
Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP)
The federal government established the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program in 1989 to compensate those who have suffered an injury due to a vaccine, and to protect doctors and vaccine manufacturers from lawsuits. Victims can receive a maximum of $250,000 in compensation, and one does not have to prove the injury was caused by the doctor or vaccine manufacturer. You only need to prove that the probability that your injury was caused by the vaccine is high. In order to receive compensation, your injury must result from one of the several vaccines covered by VICP:
- Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis
- Haemophilus influenzae type b
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Human papillomavirus
- Measles, mumps, rubella
- Pneumococcal conjugate
There are limitations to the program. Only certain injuries are compensated when related to certain vaccines. In most cases, the injury must have lasted six months or more following receipt of the vaccine, required hospitalization, required surgery, or resulted in death.
Why You Should Hire an Attorney
It is important to work with an attorney who has handled vaccine injuries cases and dealt with the VICP. Statutes of limitations apply to vaccine injury cases, so it is crucial to work with an attorney who can investigate your case and file your claim in a timely manner. Limitations vary depending on the specific circumstances and whether the injury was fatal. Our attorneys can investigate and file your claim or lawsuit in the timely manner necessary.
If you or a loved one suffered a vaccine-related injury, contact Douglas & London online or call (212) 566-7500 to schedule a free consultation. We are dedicated to helping victims recover due restitution.
"Since the inception of the firm, Douglas & London has taken the opportunity to give back to the community. It is a right, a privilege and a responsibility our firm takes very seriously. We fully understand that without community, there’s no Douglas & London."-- The Team at Douglas & London