What Are the Most Common Slip and Fall Injuries?
Slip and fall accidents are responsible for millions of injuries across the United States each year. While some of these mishaps are relatively minor, others require many years of expensive medical treatments.
One thing which all of these accidents have in common is that they require some form of medical attention– be it a simple adhesive bandage or a series of complex surgeries. Yet getting the care you need can sometimes strain even the biggest budgets.
Bruises, broken bones, and more: the common consequences of a slip and fall
Most people associate slip and fall accidents with older people. But, in reality, anyone of any age can fall victim. When they do, the consequences may include:
- Soft tissue damage: This is most often associated with visible bruising. But many soft tissue injuries are invisible to the naked eye. The victim only knows they exist because of the pain and discomfort they inflict. Treating them may require lengthy convalescence times and expensive prescription painkillers.
- Lacerations: Don’t confuse this type of injury with a simple cut.A laceration is more like a tear, similar in effect to grabbing a piece of silk fabric and ripping it in half. Lacerations can require extensive bandaging, stitches, or even skin grafts to treat. Often, they leave behind permanent scars.
- Broken or fractured bones: Cracked ribs are a common result of slip and fall accidents. Not only are they painful, but they may also take months of recovery to mend. Other typical examples include broken arms, legs, or the hip itself, an injury that can lead to lifelong disability.
- Concussions: A blow to the head from a fall can cause loss of consciousness, cognitive impairment, or even permanent memory loss.
These dangers are even more ominous when you consider the emotional suffering, loss of income, and disfiguring scars that often accompany them.
Who to contact after a slip and fall
Some situations call for an abundance of caution. Your slip and fall accident may result in nothing more than a little soreness or a minor bruise. But you’ll never know for sure until you let a medical expert look you over.
Next, contact a New York slip and fall lawyer. Here are two reasons why you should take this important step:
- To help you regain control of your life: One of the most stressful things about suffering an injury is the way it can make the victim feel helpless. All of a sudden, it seems like insurance companies and negligent parties are calling all the shots. The way to get back your sense of empowerment is to enlist a skilled lawyer in your cause. That will send the message that you’re serious about getting fair treatment.
- To fully understand your options: Insurance companies want you to believe that you have to take whatever they’re willing to offer. But that’s not true. Talking to a skilled attorney is a great way to know your real options, so you can decide which way you want to go.
We have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients over the years. So, don’t wait any longer. Get in touch with us today to set up your free consultation. We’re available 24/7.