Jamaica Car Accident Lawyer
Once you’ve called 9-1-1 to seek emergency medical attention, a personal injury attorney should be your next phone call. Maybe you’re not sure what happened in those moments before the collision, and you need answers. Maybe you aren’t sure how injured you are yet and worry that your medical bills could exceed the $50,000 your auto insurance company is willing to pay. Maybe you saw the other driver engaging in illegal activity that contributed to the crash. Whatever the case may be, it costs you nothing to consult with our team of Jamaica personal injury lawyersand explore your full set of legal options.
How Jamaica Personal Injury Lawyers Work
The process of working with a law firm following a car accident is surprisingly simple:
- Contact a personal injury law firm specializing in car accident cases for a free consultation.
- Opt for a case evaluation by phone or an in-person one-on-one review with a lawyer.
- Decide if that law firm can represent your case.
- Sign an agreement stating that you will pay the standard attorney fee if there is a recovery.
- The law firm covers all upfront costs associated with investigation and litigation.
- If the firm obtains a settlement or jury award, one-third is paid to the attorneys for their services.
- Two-thirds of the money recovered is deposited into your account.
- If the firm is unsuccessful, you part ways, and no money is owed. Alternate options will be discussed.
Damages Available in a Car Accident Lawsuit
A compelling claim to compensation following a car accident could result in money for:
- Past, present, and future medical bills, including mental health counseling and rehabilitation
- Property damage expenses above and beyond what your auto insurance policy will cover
- Out-of-pocket prescription drug costs and alternative therapies
- Past, present, and future wage losses
- An estimated amount of pain and suffering to compensate for diminished quality of life.
Statute of Limitations for Car Accident Lawsuits in NY
Certain deadlines may apply to your case:
30 days – You must file your insurance claim within 30 days to have PIP medical costs and wages covered.
90 days – In cases involving a government entity, a Notice of Claim must be served within 90 days.
Two years – A spouse, dependents, or rightful heirs of a decedent have two years to file a wrongful death suit.
Three years – The standard filing deadline for New York personal injury lawsuits is three years for most accidents.
Age 21 – If a child was involved in the car, he or she has until age 21 to file a lawsuit as an adult.
Failure to adhere to these deadlines could result in automatic case dismissal. It is always best to contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible to begin working on your case. An attorney will make sure the insurance company deals fairly with you, rather than engaging in tactics to delay, downplay, or deny your claim to compensation. At Douglas and London, we also specialize in accident scene investigations and the preservation of evidence, which could be crucial to your case, should you decide to pursue your full legal rights.
Where to Find A Car Accident Lawyer in Jamaica
Contact Douglas and London for a free, no-obligation consultation by phone or in person at our New York City office, conveniently located 46 minutes west of Jamaica via I-495 East. We have all the resources and personnel necessary to put pressure on insurers and well-heeled defendants. For more than two decades, we’ve been fighting for maximum compensation for car accident victims and their families with multi-million-dollar success.