Do I Need a Lawyer If I Was Rear Ended?
It’s always a good idea to talk to an attorney after a car wreck. This includes rear-end accidents. Only a properly trained lawyer can render a professional opinion on complex issues such as liability and damages.
Who’s at fault in a rear-end collision?
Few topics are as simple as they may first appear. In no case is this more true than when it comes to auto accident law.
Take, for example, a rear-end automotive collision. Many people believe that the person driving the rear vehicle is automatically at fault. But is this always true? No. Here’s why:
- The driver of the forward vehicle may have contributed to the accident: For example, he or she may have failed to repair a faulty brake light, in which case the forward car was less noticeable to motorists from the rear.
- Extenuating circumstances may have contributed to the crash: For example, let’s say that the forward car develops mechanical trouble and comes to a complete stop unexpectedly. A court may take this into account when deciding who’s to blame for the collision, since the driver of the rear vehicle was caught by surprise.
- The driver of the forward vehicle may have acted erratically: For example, some drivers have been known to shift their car into reverse and step on the gas, ramming the vehicle behind them. In such a case, the driver of the forward vehicle was acting in an erratic, irresponsible manner, putting him or her at fault for the wreck.
As you can see, accident cases can take strange and unexpected turns. That’s why you should never assume that you have an open-and-shut claim. Input from a New York car accident lawyer is essential for understanding your options.
What New York car accident lawyers can do for you
Dealing with the consequences of an auto accident is never easy, especially if you’ve been injured. Besides the physical discomfort, there’s also the mental stress, emotional trauma, and time required for doctor visits and physical therapy.
Few people in such a situation have the time and expertise needed to gather evidence, file legal claims, or negotiate with insurance companies. Why add those worries to your plate when you can entrust them to a trained attorney instead? That way, you can relax and focus on feeling better.
Preparing for your visit with an auto accident attorney
It’s never too soon after a car wreck to start preparing for your legal consultation. Here are some steps you should take right away:
- Exchange insurance information with the other party: This is not only required by law, it’s also essential for filing a claim with the correct insurance company.
- Document the accident in every way possible: Ideally, this will include taking pictures, making videos, recording notes, and talking to witnesses. Remember to get a copy of the police report and add it to your documentation.
- Contact your insurance company: It may turn out that the other driver’s policy has lapsed, in which case you’ll need to file an uninsured motorist claim with your own insurer.
- Get an estimate on the repairs to your vehicle and the costs of your medical care: This will help your attorney or insurance adjuster to arrive at a ball-park figure for your compensation. You should also list any belongings that were damaged or destroyed in the collision.
Have this information ready when you call the law office. It can help the staff to match you with the right attorney for your needs.
Why Douglas and London is a great choice for auto accident cases
Choosing a New York car accident lawyer is one of the biggest decisions you’ll ever make. Here are some reasons to consider Douglas and London:
- Our reputation: We’re one of the top auto accident firms in the nation. The other side knows you’re serious when you work with us.
- Our results: Our attorneys have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients. A track record like that speaks for itself.
- Our free consultations: It won’t cost you a dime to tell us your story.
Contact Douglas and London today to find out more. We’re here to help, available 24/7.