Hip Replacement Lawsuit
The metal-on-metal hip replacement, a newer form of artificial hip, was at one time very popular because the long-lasting devices were thought to decrease the likelihood that a patient would require repeat surgery. Douglas & London is accepting cases involving the following hip replacement systems/stems:
- DePuy ASR hip replacement system
- DePuy Pinnacle metal-on-metal hip replacement system
- Stryker Rejuvenate/ABGII modular neck stems
- Stryker LFit V40 Cobalt-Chrome Heads
The signature injury related to all of these hip replacement systems is metallosis related to increased chromium and cobalt in the blood. Additional injuries associated with these devices are:
- Tissue damage
- Loosening of the hip
- The need for revision surgery to correct the injury.
Douglas & London is only investigating cases in which a revision surgery has taken place or has been recommended but contraindicated due to medical reasons.
To investigate these reports and protect consumers from potentially lethal side effects from metallic poisoning, the FDA has ordered all makers of metal-on-metal hip replacements to conduct post-marketing studies to determine if any of their implanted devices were shedding dangerous amounts of cobalt and chromium in patients. One metal-on-metal hip implant, DePuy Orthopaedic’s ASR device, has already been recalled. In July 2012, Stryker issued a recall of its Rejuvenate and ABGII hip stems. Others may follow.
According to Stryker’s own recall, potential hazards include:
- Disassociation of femoral head from hip stem
- Fractured hip stem trunnion
- Excessive metallic debris
- Insufficient ROM
- Insufficient soft tissue tension
- Loss of implant: bone fixation strength
- Excessive wear debris
- Implant construct with a shortened neck length
These hazards in turn can result in one or more of the following:
- Loss of mobility
- Pain requiring revision
- Inflammatory response
- Adverse local tissue reaction
- Joint instability
- Pain associated with implant loosening
- Periprosthetic fracture
- Leg length discrepancy
- A need for complicated and painful revision surgery
If you or a loved one has had a metal-on-metal hip replacement system, contact us today. We can help determine whether you qualify for a legal case against one of the makers of these potentially defective devices.
"Since the inception of the firm, Douglas & London has taken the opportunity to give back to the community. It is a right, a privilege and a responsibility our firm takes very seriously. We fully understand that without community, there’s no Douglas & London."-- The Team at Douglas & London