What Should I Do After a Hit and Run Accident?
After a hit and run, the first thing to do is to call the police, then write down as much information as possible about the vehicle that struck yours. Ideally, this will include the car’s make, model, color, and license plate number. Quick action is key to bringing the offender to justice and getting the compensation you deserve.
Typical hit and run scenarios
A hit and run accident can take one of two forms:
- The driver keeps going without stopping: This is what most people have in mind when they use the term “hit and run.” It’s rightly regarded as reprehensible– since it shows that the driver has no respect for the law or the wellbeing of others.
- The driver stops for a time but leaves the scene of the accident before the police arrive: Anyone with a moral conscience will want to do the right thing, even when they’re clearly at fault. But human nature is a funny thing. The at-fault driver may intend to own up to their actions, only to give in to fear and take off.
In all hit and run cases, the guilty party has committed a serious crime and should face the penalties for their actions. At the same time, you, as the victim, have a right to expect compensation for any injuries or property damage you suffered as a result.
Does auto insurance cover hit and run accidents?
Typically, the costs associated with an auto accident are borne by at-fault drivers or their insurance companies. But this is impossible in the case of a hit and run accident in which the guilty party is never found.
The best way to guard against this risk is to carry uninsured motorist coverage. Ask your insurance agent if your policy includes a provision for hit and run accidents.
This type of protection is a smart investment for any driver. If the hit and run driver is later found, then you may be able to pursue civil action at that time and obtain additional compensation.
Should you talk to an attorney?
It’s a good idea for anyone involved in an auto collision to talk to a car accident attorney in New York as soon as possible afterward. Here’s why:
- To ensure that you receive fair compensation: Insurance companies are notorious for pressuring accident victims into taking less than they deserve. There’s no reason to tolerate this– not when an attorney is just a phone call away.
- To benefit from the law office’s investigative resources: Attorneys are more than legal experts. Many of them are either skilled investigators themselves or have contacts with private detectives. They may be able to track down the person responsible for your accident.
- To regain control of your life: One of the worst things about being a hit and run victim is a sense of helplessness. You may feel at the mercy of the world and unable to do anything about it. Talking to an attorney can be the first step to moving past the incident and enjoying a welcome feeling of empowerment.
Contact us today at Douglas and London
The attorneys here at Douglas and London have recovered more than $4 billion for their clients over the years. This fact, along with our legal and investigative skills, makes us the law firm of choice for auto accident and personal injury victims across New York State.
Get in touch with us today to schedule your free consultation. We’re available 24/7 for your convenience. When things are going wrong, we can help to make them right.