Taking Legal Action after a Bicycle Accident
By Michael London on March 10, 2019
Every year, thousands of bicyclists suffer serious injuries on the road, some of which are fatal. The most serious accident injuries result when a bicyclist collides with a vehicle.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, contact the New York, NY attorneys at Douglas & London. We can review your case and determine if you should take legal action and pursue compensation for damages.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, over 800 bicyclists were killed in 2015. Tens of thousands more were injured.
There are many causes of bicycle accidents, including:
- Unsafe road conditions: Loose gravel, potholes, and uneven roads are particularly dangerous to bicycle riders.
- Distracted drivers: It is harder to see a bicycle than a car or truck, so using a cell phone, conversing with passengers, adjusting the radio, and any other distraction is especially risky.
- Open door accidents: Occupants exiting parked cars often open their door without looking for oncoming traffic. This can result in serious injury to an approaching cyclist in the bike lane.
- Left-hand turns: Drivers preparing to turn left are required to yield to oncoming traffic, however, it is not uncommon for drivers to miss an approaching bicycle.
- Passing with insufficient space: Impatient drivers sometimes try to pass without sufficient room to maneuver.
- Crosswalk accidents: Some drivers may fail to stop at a crosswalk and yield to bikers and pedestrians.
Drivers and bicyclists share an obligation to obey traffic laws and exercise caution on the road. A cyclist may be able to recover damages in a personal injury lawsuit if the driver was negligent.
This can include running a stop sign or traffic light, speeding, drifting into the bicycle lane, driving while intoxicated, or any other number of negligent behaviors.
At Douglas & London, we work to prove that the driver caused an avoidable accident. As a result, you may be entitled to compensation covering medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
What to Do If You Are in an Accident
There are a series of general steps you should take if you are in a bicycle accident:
- Get medical attention: Even if you think you are fine, there is a possibility you have suffered internal injuries that are not immediately visible to the naked eye.
- Exchange information and call the police: By involving the police, an accident report is filed and the scene is documented. An accident report can serve as a useful piece of evidence in your case.
- Document evidence: If possible, document the scene by taking pictures and collecting statements from witnesses. These will also be invaluable in helping you receive restitution.
- Contact an attorney: Contact us as soon as possible so that we can get to work for you. Evidence can deteriorate, so time is of the essence.
Speak with a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
To schedule a case review with the attorneys at Douglas & London, contact us online or call (212) 566-7500 today.
Related to This
"Since the inception of the firm, Douglas & London has taken the opportunity to give back to the community. It is a right, a privilege and a responsibility our firm takes very seriously. We fully understand that without community, there’s no Douglas & London."-- The Team at Douglas & London